TPO-23 C2 Advice on choosing courses

第 1 段

1.Listen to a conversation between a student and his English professor.

请听一段学生与他的英文教授的对话。

第 2 段

1.Hi, Bob. How is it going? Are you enjoying the Introduction to Literature class?

嗨,鲍勃。怎么样?喜欢文学概况这个课程吗?

第 3 段

1.Yeah, it's great. Araby, that short story by James Joyce we read last week, it was awesome.

是的,这堂课很棒。《阿拉伯》,上星期我们读的詹姆斯乔爱思的短篇小说简直是太棒了。

第 4 段

1.I'm glad you like it.

我很高兴你喜欢这本书。

2.Most of Joyce's work is very complex. A lot of students say that he is hard to understand.【1态度】

乔爱思的大部分作品都比较复杂。大部分学生都很难理解。

3.Normally, you wouldn't tackle Joyce in an Intro class, but I'd like to give my first year students a taste of his style, his psychological approach to literature, because... mainly because it influenced other writers.

一帮情况下都不会在简介课中介绍他的作品。但是我想让大一的学生感受一下他的风格。主要是由于他的心理描述法影响了其他的作者。

4.I only wish we had more class time to discuss it.

我只希望我们有更多的课堂时间来对此进行讨论。

第 5 段

1.Me too. So why did you pick Araby instead of some other story?【1选择Araby的理由】

我也是,你为什么要选择《阿拉伯》而不是其他故事呢?

第 6 段

1.Well, um, first you should know that Araby is one of fifteen short stories by Joyce in a book called Dubliners.

首先你要知道,《阿拉伯》是乔爱思的短篇小说集《都柏林人》十五篇中的一篇。

2.Uh, all the stories are related to one another, and they are set in the same time period.

这些故事都有所联系,他们都发生在同一时期。

3.But Araby is the easiest one to follow.【2解释了原因】

《阿拉伯》是最容易理解的。

4.Though all the stories in the collection are written in stream of consciousness, which as you know, means they are told through the narrator's thought, (并列)through an inner monologue, as opposed to dialogue or an objective description of events.

这本合集中的故事都是用意识流的手法写的。意识流就是通过描述者的思维,内心的独白,而不是用对话或对事物的客观的描述。

5.But Araby is easier because it's linear, the story unfold chronologically.【2强调了原因】

但是《阿拉伯》是线性描述法,故事情节按年代展开。

第 7 段

1.Still, I wish we could read whole novels by Joyce and discussed them in class.

但是我还是希望我们能够完整的阅读乔爱思的小说,并在课堂上讨论。

第 8 段

1.That's what happens in my Master Writer Class.【2开始涉及Master Writer Class】

这是我的高级写作课的内容。

第 9 段

1.Master Writer Class?

高级写作课?

第 10 段

1.Yeah, I teach one on Joyce every spring.

是的,我每年的春季学期都会开一堂有关乔爱思的写作课。

2.It's such a privilege, spending an entire term diving into a single body of work.

那真是一个好机会啊,用一整个学期来深入研究一个作者的作品。

3.And my students, they bring so much insight to the table that it's easy to forget who the professor is.

我的学生们有很多深入的见解,我们经常忘了谁才是教授。

第 11 段

1.Oh, wow. That could actually solve my dilemma, uh, what I originally wanted to ask you...【1 提出了问题】

哇哦。那确实能解决我的困境,哦,我开始想要问您什么来着?

2.Um, I am working on my schedule for next term, and I've got room for one more course, and I'd like to take more literature.

我正在计划我下个学期的课程,我还有上一门课的时间,而且我也想要更好的学习文学

3.Could I take your Master Writer Class on Joyce?

我能去上您的乔爱思高级写作课吗?

4.I'm sorry. I should have mentioned.

不好意思,忘了告诉你

5.Uh, Master Writer is an advanced seminar.

高级写作是高级研讨会。

6.So students need to get a strong foundation in literary theory and criticism before I let them enroll.【2没有同意】

所以学生必须要有好好的文学理论和文学评论基础,我才能让他参加这门课程。

第 12 段

1.But I have gotten really good grades on all my paper so far. I'm sure I can keep up.【1学生坚信能搞定】

但是目前为止我所有的课程成绩都很好,我想我能够跟上。

2.Couldn't you make an exception?

您不能破例一次吗?

第 13 段

1.Your grades are excellent.

你的成绩很优秀。

2.But in our intro class, you are reviewing the basics, like plots, setting and character and getting your first real exposure to different literary styles.【2还是否定了】

但是在我们的入门课中,你们只是回顾最基本的知识,像是情节,背景和人物,还有首次接触一种不同的文学类型。

第 14 段

1.But why do I have to study different styles to understand Joyce's novels?

但是为什么要学习不同的文体才能理解乔爱思的小说呢?

第 15 段

1.There are a lot of little details involved in interpreting literature.

理解文学作品需要许多细节上的东西。

2.And like with Joyce. His novels have very unique structures.

就像是乔爱思,他的小说具有十分独特的结构。

3.The only way to appreciate how unique they are is by studying a variety of authors.

你能欣赏这一点的唯一的呃方法就是学习不同作家的作品。

第 16 段

1.Oh, OK. So could you suggest a different literature class then? 【1 提问】

哦,好吧。那你能为我推荐一下其他的文学课程吗?

第 17 段

1.Sure. There's doctor Clain's course on nineteenth-century novels.

当然可以了。比如说克莱恩博士的关于19 世纪小说的课程。

2.It's more focused than the class you're in now.

比你现在上的课更加集中。

3.But it will build on your current knowledge base and give you the background you need.【2能给予背景知识需要】

但是它会建立你现在的知识基础并且给你提供知识背景

4.That, plus a couple more foundational classes, and you will definitely be ready for my seminar.

再加上一些基础课程,你就一定能够参加我的研讨会了。

第 18 段

1.Sweet. Thanks.

太好了,谢谢您。

posted on 2019-02-07 20:24  leihui  阅读(245)  评论(0编辑  收藏  举报