13 对话一 【96】

 

13 对话一  【96】

This line is taking forever! It sure is. But lunch hour is the busiest time of day.

That’s true. Especially at the end of the month. Mm-hmm.

You know, you look really familiar. Don’t I know you from somewhere? I’m not sure.

I think we were in the same computer course a couple of years ago. With Miss Clark?

I remember you now! My name’s Paul. Paul Miller. I’m Masako Itoh. It’s good to see you again.

Sorry I didn’t recognize you at first. Well, my hair was a lot longer then, and I wore glasses.

 

13 对话二  【110】

Hi. Sorry I’m late. Oh, that’s OK. We just got here.

Louis, this is my fiancé, Max. Max, this is my old friend, Louis. We went to school together.

Hi, Louis. I’m really glad to meet you. Hi, Max. I’ve heard a lot about you. All good I hope!

Louis just got back from California. Really? How was it? It was fantastic.

You went with your brother, didn’t you? Year. We saw a lot of California, that’s for sure!

I hear you like golf. Love it! We played six different golf courses. Do you play? I sure do!

How about a game this weekend? Uh-oh. I was afraid of this.

 

14 对话一  【133】

I’m glad you’re here. What a terrible morning! Why! What happened?

After I got dressed for the wedding, I was having a cup of coffee, and I spilled it all over my shirt.

Well, it looks OK now. Luckily, I had another white shirt, so I changed.

Uh, Don, is there a place around here where you can get a pair of pants cleaned quickly?

There’s a one-hour dry cleaner in the ShellBuilding on Madison. It’s about two blocks from here.

So, it’s close. That’s good. And which one is the ShellBuilding?

It’s that big, glass office build just past the park. But why all these questions about the dry cleaner?

Because we have to stop there on the way to the wedding. I think you sat in something. Oh, no!

 

14 对话二  【110】

Next, please! Could you tell me where the toy department is? The toy department is on the fourth floor….

Next? Where can I exchange this computer game? You can do that in Electronics on five….

Can I help you? I’m looking for ladies’ gloves. Ladies’ gloves are here on the main floor.

Walk down this aisle to the scarf counter. Turn left. They’re just past the handbags.

Is there a pharmacy in this mall? Yes, there is. Just walk down there past the fountain.

The pharmacy is about four stores down from there on your left. Thank you.

Yes, sir? Where can I watch TV while my friends are shopping?

 

15 对话一  【131】

Hello? Hello. Could I please speak to Helen? Speaking. Hi, Helen. This is Danny.

Listen, I’m having a party at my place this Friday night. Are you free? Sure! What time?

Anytime after 8:00. Great! See you Friday then. Hello? Hi, Mrs. King. Is John there, please?

I’m sorry he’s not here right now. Could I take a message? Yes please.

I’m calling to tell him there’s a party at my place on Friday, and… Let me get a pen. All right, go ahead.

Ok, this is Danny silver, and my number is 364-0107. Could you ask him to call me at home?

I can give him all the details then.

Sure. I’ll give him the message as soon as he gets in. I’ll tell him to call Danny at 364-0107.

 

15 对话二  【136】

You have reached the English Language institute. If you have a Touch-Tone Phone, and you want the Admission Office, press 1 now. For General Information, press 2 now. If you know…

Good morning. Admissions Office. Can I help you? Yes, please.

My nephew in Mexico is interested in taking you course. I’m calling to find out how he can apply.

We just need a completed application form and the registration fee.

Where can I find out about student housing? From Mr. Sharma in the General Information Office.

Could I speak Ms. Sharma, please? Of course. Hold the line, please.

– I’m sorry; her line is busy right now. Could I leave a message for her? Certainly.

I want to find out about residence fees. Can she call me back?

Yes. I’ll give her the message. Thank you.

 

16 对话一  【115】

That was my mother on the phone. She and my father will be here Friday.

Yeah… What’s the matter? Don’t you like them? Sure I do! It’s their smoking I don’t like.

I really don’t want them to smoke in the house.

They’re just here for the weekend. It’s not a big problem, is it?

Second-hand smoke is a big problem around here. It’s dangerous especially for the baby.

Besides, everything stinks for a week! I know what you mean. But what can we do?

We can ask them to smoke outside. I guess you’re right. OK. You can tell them when they get here.

Me? Are you kidding? They’re your parents! You tell them!

 

16 对话二【137】

Ok, Beth, what’s the problem? Do you want to talk about it? No… yes… I don’t know.

Came on, Beth, I’m your brother---what’s the matter? It’s Ken.

He’s really fun to be with, but he’s the cheapest guy I’ve ever gone out with.

Why what did he do? Last night we went to a movie. I bought the tickets while he parked the car.

So? Well, he never gave me any money for his ticket. And you won’t believe what happened next!

Yeah? He went to the snack bar and came back with popcorn and a soda…for himself!

He never even asked me if I wanted anything? Wow! That sounds pretty bad.

I know. I really like him, but he makes me mad, too. What should I do?

You should start looking for a new boyfriend!

 

17 对话一  【114】

Have you heard about Dana? No. I haven’t talked to her for a couple of months. How are things with her?

Well, she’s just so-so right now. She had a little accident last week in her new car.

Oh, you’re kidding. Was anybody hurt? Was there much damage?

No. it was really a small accident and everybody was fine. It was the other driver’s fault.

Well, that’s good. Other then that, how’s she doing? Is she still going out with Graham?

Haven’t you heard yet? They’re getting married! You’re kidding!

She said he gave her a ring on her birthday. That’s great!

Yeah. Everyone’s really happy about it. He’s a great guy. Lucky, too!

 

17 对话二  【168】

Did you hear about The People Next Door? No. what happened?

Well let me tell you! Brenda caught Stan-that’s her boyfriend-kissing another woman.

That’s terrible! What did she do? She ran out, got in the car, and drove away.

The poor woman! So, where did she go? She ended up at the hospital. She was…

Why did she go to the hospital? She was driving too fast and had an accident.

Anyway… wait a minute. Was she hurt? She broke her arm.

But listen, the important thing is that she fell in love with the doctor who fixed her arm.

Now as soon as she feels a little better, they are going to start dating Let me get this straight.

Brenda caught Stan with another woman, got into a car accident, and now she’s going out with her doctor? That’s right. That’s unbelievable. It sounds like a soap opera.

Gary. It is a soap opera. It’s called The People Next Door. It’s on TV every day at noon.

 

18 对话一  【108】

You look a little pale. Are you Ok? To tell you the truth, I feel terrible. Why? What’s the matter?

I have a horrible headache and sore throat. Why didn’t you tell me?

I thought they might go away after a good night’s sleep, but I fell worse this morning.

Hmm. You fell warm, too. Did you take anything for it? Yeah. But it didn’t do any good.

I feel awful. My whole body aches. There’s a pretty bad flu going around. That’s all I need!

You’d better go and lie down. I’ll call the doctor and see what she says.

Let me just take your temperature first.

 

18 对话二  【119】

Can I help you? Yes please. I’d like to get this prescription filled. Ok. It’ll be a few minutes.

Oh, while I’m here…, my daughter was coughing quite a bit last night. Can you suggest anything?

How old is your daughter? She’s four. This is a good children’s cough syrup.

Give her two teaspoons before she goes to bed.

If her cough doesn’t clear up in a day or two, you should take her to the doctor. I will thanks.

And here is your prescription. Are there any special instructions? They’re on the bottle.

You have to take it on an empty stomach.

That means at least one hour before meals or two hours after. Ok and thanks again.

 

19 对话一  【163】

Thanks for helping me clean out my grandmother’s attic. Glad to do it. It’s interesting.

Wow! What a collector! She never threw anything out. You’re not kidding.

Hey, what’s this thing? It’s a coffee grinder. You use it for grinding beans to make coffee.

How do you use it? Let’s see if I can remember…, oh, yeah. First, you put the coffee beans in the top.

Then you keep turning this handle until the beans are all ground up. Ok. What next?

Next, you open this little drawer at the bottom. All the ground coffee is in there.

Ok. How do you make the coffee?

After that, you fill a coffeepot with cold water and put the coffee in this little basket.

Then you put the basket in the pot. Put the pot on the stove and let it boil for a couple of minutes.

That’s it. Gee, Martin. That sounds good. I’d love a cup of coffee. Sure thing. Is instant OK?

 

19 对话二   【128】

Hey, Terumi, would you like to get away from the city and come to LakeBenjamin with me and my family next week? I’d love to. Do I need anything?

Well, the first thing is a sleeping bag. I don’t get it. What do I need a sleeping bag?

For sleeping in, of course. You can share our tent. Do you mean this is a camping trip?

That’s right, so insect repellent is a good idea. Why do I need that?

Oh! You should use insect repellent there, or you’ll get eaten alive! What else will I need?

You might need an extra set of warm clothes. Why do I need those? It’s the middle of summer!

Just in case it rains or suddenly turns cold. Good thinking.

 

20 对话一  【98】

So, how can I help you? My husband and I are going to Vancouver next month.

We don’t usually do this,… but we’d like to stay in a first-class hotel for a change.

Why don’t you try the York Hotel? How much is it? A double room is $200 a night.

Where is it? It’s near the center of town. Does it have parking? Yes. Here, Take a look at their brochure.

This looks perfect. OK, I’d like to reserve a double room from September twenty-third to the thirtieth under the name of Mr. And Mrs. Henry Evans.

 

20 对话二  【102】

I’d like to check in, please. Do you have a reservation?

Yes, the name is Hall. John Hall. It’s for three nights.

Here it is. Could you fill out the registration form for me? And I’ll need your credit card.

Here you are. And, do you have a room overlooking the pool? Yes, certainly.

Do you need any help with your bags? No, that’s all right. I can manage.

Front desk. Can I help you? Yes. This is John Hall in room 1436. I forgot to pack my razor. Can I get one? Just call Courtesy Services at extension 105. Thank you.

 

21对话一  【130】

Hi. Can you help me? I’m here for a week and I need some ideas for things to do.

I have a few brochures here. What do you want to see here in Los Angeles?

First, I want to see some of the famous places, like Disneyland, Hollywood…, that sort of thing.

Of course, and you shouldn’t miss Universal Studios! That’s a good idea.

What else is there to do? Hundreds of things! If you like shopping, you can visit Rodeo Drive.

I’m not really interested in that. What’s there to do at night?

There are clubs, concerts, plays…, you name it!

Do you know a good club? I like rock music. The Hard Rock Café is very popular.

Oh, yeah! I’ve heard of that place. Thanks for your help!

 

21 对话二  【119】

What’s the best way to get to Waterfront Park from here? Can I take the subway?

No. you can catch the number 34 bus in front of that hotel. Get off at Harbor Stress.

Actually, it’s just a short walk from here. Really? How far is it? About ten or fifteen minutes.

You know, there are guided tours of the city you can take. Oh? What does the city tour include?

They take you by all the major points of interest. You can get a good idea of where everything’s is.

Hmm. How much is it? It’s $10 per person for an hour-long tour.

If you’re interested, I can arrange it for you. That sounds like a great idea.

 

22 对话一  【100】

looks like a good party. I probably know about half the people. Who’s that guy? Where?

The one next to the telephone. I don’t know. Never saw him before in my life. Why?

I think he’s the guy who just moved into my apartment building. Could be.

And do you know who that woman is? Which one?

The one in the white sweater. I think I’ve met her before.

That’s Linda Chang. Is she the one whose boyfriend drives the red sports car? Yeah, that’s right.

Well, he’s the one I want to. He almost ran me down last week!

 

22 对话二  【114】

Hi, Rosa. What are you doing? I’m trying to pick an English literature course for this term.

Take Professor Holt’s class. I had her last year.

Really? What’s she like? Fantastic! I think she’s a really good teacher.

Why? What makes her so good? For one things, she’s really funny.

Yeah, but I want to learn something. Don’t get me wrong.

She’s funny, and if someone’s funny, you pay more attention. She’s also really smart,

so you learn a lot. What do you think of Professor Vance? He’s boring.

Everyone falls asleep in his class. And he’s hard to talk to.

Ok. I’ll try to get into Professor Holt’s class. You won’t be sorry!

 

23 对话一  【131】

Look at this equipment! I think there’s something for every sport here.

I’ll say! Wait, there are no parachutes! Have you ever tried parachuting?

Parachuting? No, I’ve never done that. Have you? I’ve done it three times.

You’re kidding. when? The summer after high school. What was it like? Were you scared?

Oh, yeah. I was terrified! But it was really exciting. What other things have you tried?

I used to race motorcycles before I was married. Have you ever done that?

Lot of times. I still do it every chance I get. I love it. Why did you stop?

My wife says I might get hurt. You’re still single, aren’t you?

No. I’m married, but my wife has a very interesting hobby. She goes bungee jumping when ever she can.

 

23 对话二  【168】

Did I tell you about the time I found $150? No. what happened?

I was walking down the street, when I saw a wallet just lying there.

I picked it up, and it had about $150 in it.

What happened? Did you keep the money? No. I called the police. They came over and picked it up.

Good for you. That was really honest of you. I had a nice surprise three months later.

The police gave me the money. They didn’t find the person who lost it.

Well, I’ll never forget the time I lost money. Oh, no. Was it a lot? Tell me.

I was waiting to pay for some groceries. My wallet was empty!

I was sure I had about $100. I was really embarrassed! I went home and searched everywhere.

So, did you ever find it? You won’t believe it. I found it in the washing machine the next time I did laundry.

I guess it was in my pants pocket the whole time.

 

24 对话一  【108】

What did you think of the movie? I thought it was great. I love it.

You did? I thought it was terrible. Why? What didn’t you like about it?

For one thing, it was too violent. There was too much fighting. But Curtis, it was a martial arts movie!

I know, but the story was silly, too. The stories are always silly in those movies.

Then why do you like them? They’re exciting. And I like the star.

He doesn’t have to act. Those guys are in great condition.

Really! It’s almost like watching ballet! I just had a great idea! His next movie should be SwanLake!

 

24 对话二  【154】

What on earth are those kids watching? I don’t know. Police Squad, I think. 

Well, isn’t there something funny on? All I can hear is guns and squealing tires and cars crashing! 

It’s just a TV show. I think police shows are too violent. 

The kids will grow up thinking that hurting people is OK. 

Oh, come on! I think people worry to much about TV violence. -- 

After all, you don’t see our kids kicking the dog or hitting each other. 

No, but I see them playing war, and they all want toy guns and weapons. 

Well, personally, I think that those silly sitcoms are pretty bad, too. -- 

The kids talk back to their parents, and they’re always getting into trouble! -- 

They’re not realistic at all. I don’t want our kids to think those TV families are normal! 

I know what you mean, but don’t you think that violence is worse? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mum. Those burgers smell great. It’s a perfect day for a barbecue. 

 啊,这些汉堡包闻起来真香。今天吃野外烧烤再好不过了。1 

 It sure is. I’m glad it didn’t rain. My name’s Mike Gates, by the way. 

 这是当然。我真高兴今天没下雨。顺便告诉你,我叫迈克?盖茨。1 

 Oh, hi! I’m Barbara Johnson. Nice to meet you. 

 你好!我叫芭芭拉?约翰逊。很高兴见到你。1 

 I’m sorry. What’s your name again? Barbara. But please, just call me Barb. 

 对不起,请再把你的名字说一遍,好吗?芭芭拉,请叫我芭泊好了。1 

 So Barb what do you do? I’m studying medicine. 

 那么芭泊,你是做什么工作的? 我在学医。1 

 Really? Where? At Harvard. What about you? 

 真的?在哪儿? 哈佛大学。你呢?1 

 I’m an engineer at IBM. Oh, are you? That sounds interesting. Yeah. I like it. 

 我在IBM当工程师。啊,真的?听起来真带劲。的确。我喜欢这份工作。1 

 Hey, it looks like the food is ready. Good. I’m starving. 

 嗨,好像是饭做好了。好啊!我都快饿死了。1 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 课文02 

 Yes, can I help you? I’d like to open a savings account. Certainly. 

 你好,我能帮吗?我想开个储蓄账户。没问题。2 

 First we’ll have fill out a few forms. Could I have your name, please? It’s Paine, Sarah Paine. 

 首先,你得填几张表。请把你的名字告诉我,好吗? 我叫帕恩,全名是萨拉?帕恩。2 

 And how do you spell your last name? It’s PAINE. Thank you. 

 你的姓怎么拼? 帕恩女士.谢谢。2 

 Next, is it Miss, Mrs., or Ms.? I prefer Ms. Fine. 

 下一个问题,你怎么称呼,是小姐,太太,还是Ms。(女士)?我喜欢Ms. 很好。2 

 Now, could I please have your address, Ms. Paine? 2418 Greystone Road? 

 那么,请把你的地址告诉我,好吗?格雷斯托恩路2418号。2 

 Is that in Chicago? Yes, that’s right. The zip code is 60602. 

 是在芝加哥吗?对,没错。邮政区号是60602。2 

 Ok, and please give me your telephone number. It’s 364-9758.  

 好。请把你的电话号码告诉我。3649758。2 

 all right. And finally, Ms. Paine, what is your occupation? 

 好了,帕恩女士,你干什么职业?2 

 I work at City Hospital. I’m a lab assistant. Fine. I just need some ID, and we’ll be all set. 

 我在市医院工作。我是实验室助理员。 很好。现在我只南非要看一下你的身份证明,这样一切就都妥了 

 

 

National Flight 294 to Miami is delayed due to severe weather conditions. 

 由于天气状况恶劣,飞往迈阿密的第294号国内航班,现推迟起飞, 

 Please stand by for additional information. Oh no! I hate these long delays! 

 请等候进一步的消息。 唉!我恨透了这没完没的推迟!3 

 I know. I can’t wait to get home. I’ve been on a business trip for a month. I really miss my family. 

 我很理解,我盼望着早日到家。我已出差一个月了。我真想念我的家人。3 

 A month is a long time to be away. Do you have any children? 

 离家一个月是够长的。你有孩子吗?3 

 I have three. Two boys and a girl. Would you like to see a picture? 

 我有三个孩子,两儿一女。你想看看照片吗?3 

 Oh, how nice! Now, who’s this? This is Judy, my oldest. She’s twenty-four. 

 噢,真漂亮!这是谁?这是朱蒂,我的大孩子,她24岁。3 

 Is she married? Yes, she is. And these are my two sons, Jamie and Julian. How old are they? 

 她结婚了吗? 结了。这是我的两个儿子,杰米和朱力安。 他们多大了?3 

 Jamie is 21. He’s in college now. Julian is 17, and that’s my wife, Beth, next to my daughter. 

 杰米21岁,他在上大学,朱力安17岁。挨着我女儿的是我妻子贝斯。谢谢。那么给我讲一讲你的家庭吧。 

 Well, you certainly have a lovely–looking family. Thank you. So, tell me about your family. 

 真的,你的家人长的都很漂亮呀13 

 My husband and I have a son, Tim. 

 我们夫妇有一个儿子,他叫蒂姆。3 

 

 

 

 

 课文04 

 Oh, darn. Where are they? Who? 

 唉,他们哪儿去了?谁?4 

 I went to get this CD for a woman and her husband. Now I can’t find them. 

 我去给一个女的和她丈夫取这张激光盘,可现在找不到他们了。4 

 What do they look like? Well, she’s fairly tall with curly red hair. He’s tall with short blond hair. 

 他们长得什么样? 哦,女的个子相当高,留着一头红色 发。男的也是高个子,留着金黄色的短发。4 

 They look like they’re in their late thirties. 

 他们看上去不到四十岁的样子。4 

 Hmm. I don’t see anyone like that. What are they wearing? Do you remember? 

 嗯,这种长相的人我没看到。你还记得他们穿着什么衣服吗?4 

 Yeah. He’s wearing a red sweatshirt and blue jeans. She’s wearing a white skirt and a purple sweater. 

 啊,男的穿着红汗衫,蓝色牛仔裤。女的穿着白裙子,紫色羊毛衫。4 

 A white skirt and a purple sweater? Hey , wait! I think I see them in the classical section. 

 白裙子紫色羊毛衫?喂,等一等!我想我看见他们在古典音乐区。4 

 You’re right. Sir! Madam! I have that CD you’re looking for. 

 没错先生,女士,我找到你们要的激光盘了。4 

 

 

What are you doing? I’m cooking dinner tonight. That’s great. Thank you. What are you making? 

 你在干什么呢?我在做今天的晚饭。 那太好了。谢谢你。在做什么菜呢? 

 A surprise. By the way, where do we keep the olive oil? It’s in the cabinet over the sink. 

 你想不到的菜。顺便问问,咱们的橄榄油放在什么地方? 在水池上方的碗橱里。5 

 In the cabinet over the sink. I’ve got it. thanks. And do you know where the big pot is? 

 大水池的我找到了,谢谢。还有,你知道大壶放在什么地方呢? 5 

 It’s in the drawer under the oven. OK. I’m ready. Now, what time do you want to eat? 

 在烤箱下面的抽屉里。 好了,一切准备好了。你想几点吃饭? 5 

 Whenever it’s ready, but what can I do to help? Just stay out of the kitchen! 

 什么时候做好就可以什么时候吃。要帮忙吗? 不用,别进来就行了。 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 课文06 

 Teresa? I can’t find the what –do –you-call-it. What can’t you find? 

 特雷萨,我找不到那个东西。 你找不到什么? 

 You know. The thing. What thing? Oh, come on. You know! It’s on the tip of my tongue.  

 你知道,那个东西。哪个东西? 哎呀,你帮个忙吧,你是知道的,就在我嘴边上。 

 What does it look like? Maybe I can help you find it. It’s long, narrow, flat thing. It’s made of plastic. 

 一个什么样的东西?也许我能帮你找一下。 一个又长又窄又扁的东西,是塑料做的。 

 OK. What color is it, and what’s it used for? It’s red. You use it for drawing straight lines. 

 那它是什么颜色,做什么用的? 红色的,画直线用的。 

 Luis! You mean the ruler! It’s in the box behind the telephone. 

 路易,你是找尺子吧,就在电话后边的盒子里。6 

 Oh, yeah. I knew that all along. I was just testing you. 

 噢,你说对了。其实,我本来早就知道,我刚才只是想看你是不是知道。6 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Unit 4 Greg, when is Sheila’s birthday? Is it this week? 

 格雷格,希拉的生日是什么时候?是这个星期吗?7 

 Yeah, It’s this Saturday, the twenty-eighth. 

 是,就是这个星期六,28号。7 

 I’d really like to see her on her birthday. Are you two doing anything? 

 我非常想在她生日那天去看她。你们两个那天有事吗7 

 Well, yes, we have tickets to a concert at Carnegie Hall. 

 啊,有事儿。我们要到卡内基音乐厅参加音乐会,已经有票了。7 

 What time does it start? It starts at 8:00. 

 音乐会几点开始? 8点。7 

 Hmmm. I’m afraid I can’t make it by then. I have to work late on Saturday. 

 哦┄┄8点前我恐怕到不了。星期六我要加班到很晚。7 

 Hold on. I have an idea. What time does the concert end? 

 等等,我想起了一个主意。音乐会几点结束? 

 Pretty late. Probably around half-past eleven. 

 要到很晚。大约11点吧。7 

 Well, how about going to the Café Alfredo for some coffee and birthday cake after the concert? 

 那么我们在音乐会结束后到阿尔福雷德咖啡屋喝点咖啡,吃点生日蛋糕,你看怎么样? 

 I’ll meet you there. Well, what time does the café close? 

 我们在咖啡屋见。 这个,咖啡屋几点关门?7 

 It’s open until at least 1:00. come on, admit it. it’s a fabulous idea. 

 最早1点关门。去吧,你得承认,这主意不错。7 

 OK, OK, Karen. We’ll see you then!   好的,好的,我们咖啡屋见。7 

 

 

 课文08 

 Excuse me, do you know where the police station is ? 

 请问,去警察局怎么走?8 

 No, I’m sorry. I don’t . I’m not from around here? 

 抱歉,我不知道,我不是这儿的人。8 

 OK, thanks anyway. Hi, Keith! How’s it going? 

 那好,谢谢你了。嗨,凯思,近来好吗?8 

 Not too good. I lost my wallet, and it had all my ID and credit card in it. Oh, no! 

 不太好。我把钱包丢了,里面有我的身份证和所有的信用卡。呀,是吗?8 

 So, how do I get to the police station from here? 

 从这里警察局该怎么走?8 

 It’s easy. Go up Main Street about three blocks. 

 很容易。沿这条大街走三个街区,8 

 When you get to Oak Street, turn left. It’s fight next to the post office. You can’t miss it. 

 在橡树街向左转,警察局就在邮局旁边,你不会错过的。8 

 OK. Go up this street and turn left at Oak. It’s beside the post office. 

 好的,沿这条大街走三个街区,在橡树街左拐,邮局旁就是。8 

 That’s it. Thanks, Anna. No problem.   没错。谢谢你,安娜。不用客气。8 

 

 

So, what do you think? How do you like New York? 

 那么,你是怎么想的?你觉得纽约怎么样?9 

 I’m having a great time. I love it. I’m glad we came. 

 我在这里过得愉快,我爱纽约。我很高兴来到这里。9 

 Yeah. I really like the stores and the shopping. I love the museums, too. 

 我也是。我喜欢这儿的商场。喜欢在这儿买东西。 我还喜欢这儿的博物馆。 

 But the traffic is pretty bad. Yeah. I hate all this traffic. It’s really noisy. 

 可是这儿的交通够糟糕的。 你说得对。我讨厌这儿的交通状况。简直太嘈杂了! 

 Listen, it’s almost dinnertime. There are lots of restaurants around here. 

 哎呀,都快到吃晚饭时间了。附近有很多餐馆。9 

 What do you want to try? Italian? Greek? Japanese? Thai? 

 想尝尝什么风味?意大利、希腊、日本还是泰国菜?9 

 I can’t stand making decisions. You choose! 

 我不喜欢作决定。你来先吧。9 

 OK. Let’s go American. Where’s the nearest McDonald’s? 

 那好,我们吃美国菜吧。最近的麦当劳在哪里?9 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 课文10 

 This one looks great! I love the seashore. So do I. The sun. the sand . the ocean! 

 这张看起来真好。我特别喜欢海滩。 我也喜欢,那阳光、沙滩、大海! 

 And listen to this! What do you think of sailing, swimming, wind-surfing. And fishing? 

 喂,我说,驾驶帆船、游泳、风帆冲浪和钓鱼,你觉得这些运动怎么样?10 

 Oh, Tom! They sound fantastic. I really like all those things. Yeah. Me, too. 

 汤姆,听起来这些都是激动人心的运动。我都喜欢。 我也一样。10 

 Well, except fishing. To be honest, I hate fishing, but I love all the others. 

 不过,钓鱼我不喜欢。说句实话,我讨厌钓鱼,但其它我都喜欢。10 

 Hey! Look at this! We can stay in a big hotel or we can stay in a little cabin by the beach. 

 嘿!看这张!我们可以住在大宾馆,也可以信在海边的小木屋里。10 

 You know, I really don’t like those big hotels. 

 你知道,我最不喜欢住大宾馆。10 

 Neither do i. Let’s stay in a cabin. It’ll be much nicer right beside the ocean. 

 我也不喜欢。咱们住小木屋吧。紧挨着海边住要好得多。10 

 

 

Hi, Kenji. Hi, Debbie. Have a seat. how’s it going? I’m OK. How are you doing? 

 肯基,你好。黛比,你好。来,坐下次。近来怎么样? 我还好。你近来怎么样? 

 Pretty good. Listen. Have you heard about the new Thai restaurant over on University Avenue? 

 相当不错。我说,你听说在学院大街上新开的泰国餐馆了吗?11 

 Do you mean The Bangkok? 

 你是说那家曼谷屋吗?11 

 That’s the one. A bunch of us are going there for dinner tomorrow night. 

 就是,我们几个朋友明天晚上要到那里聚餐, 

 How about coming with us? Sure. I’d love to. Great. I’ll call and make reservations. 

 你也来,怎么样? 当然可以,我愿意去。 那好,我来打电话订座。 

 Any time after 6:00 is good for me. Oh! I’m late! I have a class. 

 我在6点后几点都行。哎呀,我要迟到了,我还要上课呐。11 

 All right. I’ll call you tonight and tell you the time. Great. Talk to you then. 

 就这样,我今天晚上打电话告诉你时间。 好,我们到时再聊。 

 

 

 

 

 

 课文12 

 Hello. Could I speak to Justin, please? Speaking. 

 喂,我找朱斯亭。我就是。12 

 Oh, hi Justin. This is Karen Hepburn. We met at Chris and Jim’s party. 

 嘿,朱斯亭,你好。我是凯伦?荷本。我们在克莉丝和吉姆办的晚会上见过面。12 

 Of course. How’re you? 

 对,我记得。你好吗?12 

 Great. Uh, Justin, would you like to see Otis Islay on Thursday night? He’s at the Kangaroo Club. 

 我很好。朱斯亭,你想不想星期四晚上去看Otis Isley的表演?他要在袋鼠俱东部演出。12 

 I’m sorry, Karen, but I can’t. I have to work late this Thursday. 

 很抱歉,凯伦,我去不了。星期四我要加班到很晚。12 

 Oh. That’s too bad. Yeah. I really like Isley. 

 那太遗憾了。是遗憾。我很喜欢Otis Isley的表演。12 

 Actually, are you doing anything on Friday or Saturday? He’s playing those two nights as well. 

 我说,你星期五或星期六有事吗?他那两个晚上也上场。12 

 Well, I can’t make it on Friday either, but I’m free on Saturday night. What time does it start? 

 哎呀,我星期五也不行,但是我星期六有空。几点开始演出?12 

 At eight sharp. How about meeting in front of the club at about a quarter after seven? 

 8点整。我们7点15分在俱乐部门前碰头怎么样?12 

 That sounds perfect. And let’s go out for coffee after the show. Sure! 

 这听起来棒极了。演出结束后我们出去喝杯咖啡吧。好的。12 

 OK, see you at 7:15, Saturday. 

 就这样,我们星期六7点15分见。12 

 

 

Hi. Can I help you with something? 

 你们好。要我帮忙吗?13 

 Yes, please. We’re looking for the men’s department. 

 是的。我们想去男装部。 

 It’s right over there, by the escalator. Here we are. And here are the sport shirts. 

 就在那边,在楼梯旁边。 到了,运动衫在这里。 

 Look at this one. The color is perfect for you! I like it, too. How much is it? 

 来看这一件,你穿这件颜色正合适。 我也喜欢这一件。多少钱? 

 It’s on sale for $19.98. That’s a good price. But I think they only have it in large. 

 减价了,19。98美元。 价格很适中,可是我看他只有大号的。 

 Excuse me! Could you help me? Sure. What can I do for you? 

 劳驾,你能过帮忙吗? 当然可以。您有什么事儿 

 Does this shirt come in medium? Yes, it does. Here’s a medium. 

 这种衬衫有中号的吗? 有,有中号的。这个就是。 

 Great. We’ll take it. Will that be cash or charge? 

 太好,我们就买这件。 您付现金还是信用卡? 

 

 

 

 

 

 课文14 

 Excuse me. Could you help me? I’d like to exchange this sweater. What’s the problem with it? 

 劳驾,你能帮我吗?我想换这件毛衣。 毛衣有什么毛病? 

 It was a birthday gift, but I don’t really like it. I think I want something plainer. 

 这是别人送的生日礼物,可是我不太喜欢。我想要一件不这么花哨的。14 

 I see. Well, why don’t you look around? I like these two, Allen. Try them on. 

 是这样,那么你就在这儿找找看吧。 我喜欢这两件,艾伦,来试试看。 

 OK. So, which one do you like? I like the red one much better than the black one. 

 好的。你看,你喜欢哪一件? 比起黑色的这件,红色的这件我喜欢多了。 

 Really? How come? I kind of like the black one. 

 是吗?为什么?我却有点喜欢这件黑色的。14 

 The red one is longer and a little looser so it well be more comfortable. 

 这件红色的长一些,宽松一些,穿上会更舒服。14 

 True. And it feels softer. And that color looks better on you. 

 你说的对,这件手感更柔软。14 

 Actually, it’s a better quality and it’s the same price as the sweater you’re exchanging. 

 你穿这件颜色也更合适,事实上,它的质量更好,价格跟你要换的这件是一样的。14 

 You’ve talked me into it! I’ll take this one instead. No problem. I’ll switch them for you. 

 我听你的,就要这件了。 没问题,我来给你换一下。 

 

 

Everything looks good. What are you going to have, Julie? 

 看起来每样菜都不错。朱莉,你吃点什么?15 

 I think I’ll have the spaghetti and a salad. How about you? What are you having? 

 我看我来点意大利面条,一份色拉吧。你呢,你吃点什么?15 

 Spaghetti sounds good, but I feel like a steak. I guess we’re ready to order. 

 意大利面条不借,不过,我想吃牛排。我看我们现在点菜吧。小姐!15 

 Excuse me! Good evening. Have you decided yet? Yes. I’ll have the spaghetti and a salad. 

 晚上好。你们决定吃什么了吗? 决定了。我要一份意大利面条,一份色拉。 

 And what kind of dressing would you like on your salad? 

 色拉要什么调料?15 

 I’d like oil and vinegar. OK. And what would you like, sir? 

 放一些油和醋。 好的。先生,您呢?您点什么? 

 I’d like a steak, medium-rare, please. Would you like soup or salad with that? 

 我要牛排,烧成中嫩。 配一些汤呢还是要色拉。 

 What kind of soup do you have tonight? Cream of mushroom and clam chowder. 

 今晚都有什么汤? 蘑菇奶汁还有蛤蜊海鲜。 

 Clam chowder, please. And I’ll have a baked potato and carrots. 

 要蛤蜊海鲜吧。另外要一份烤土豆和胡萝卜。15 

 I’ll be right back with your soup and salad. Thank you. 

 我马上给你上汤和色拉。15 

 

 

 

 

 

 课文16 

 OK, so that’s one cheeseburger and one order of chicken wings, extra spicy. 

 好的,您要了一份干酷汉堡包,一份麻辣翅膀。16 

 Would you like something to drink with that? Do you have any diet Coke? 

 您要喝点什么呢? 有减肥可口可乐吗? 

 I’m sorry, we don’t . we have diet Pepsi. I’ll have that, then. Make it two. 

 抱歉,我们没有,但我们这儿有减肥百事可乐。 那就要这个吧。来两份。 

 Would you like to have your Pepsi now? Yes, please. 

 现在就上吗?行。16 

 No, thank you. I’ll wait for my cheeseburger. 

 我的先不上。给我先上干酷汉堡包。16 

 And would you care for any dessert? No thanks. I’m sure I’ll be full. 

 您要色拉吗?不用,这些我足够了。16 

 They have fantastic chocolate cheesecake here. They do? Well, maybe we could split some. 

 他们这里的巧克力干酪饼棒极了。 是吗?咱俩合吃一份怎么样? 

 Would you like me to bring two forks? Yes, please. Good idea. 

 要我给您拿来两副叉吗? 好的,这主意不错。 

 

 

What’s the matter, Paul? Can you believe this? 

 保罗,出什么事了?17 你看,多气人! 

 I locked my keys in the car, and I have to go to the airport to pick up my aunt. 

 我把汽车钥匙锁了车里,可我得到机场去接我姑妈。17 

 So, what are you going to do? I don’t know. 

 是这样,你打算怎么办呢?我真不知道怎么办好。17 

 Hey, do you think I could borrow your car for a few hours? 

 哎,你能把车借给我用几小时吗?17 

 I’m sorry, but I really need it this afternoon. 

 真抱歉,我今天下午要用车。17 

 Well, could you drive me home? I have spare keys there. Sure. That’s no problem. 

 那,你能把我送到我家里去吗?我家里还有备用钥匙。 当然可以。这没问题。 

 Oh, and Andy? Do you have a quarter for the phone? My wallet’s in the car. 

 恩迪,还有一件事,我要打个电话,你有25分硬币吗?我的钱包也在车上呢。17 

 Here you go. Anything else? No, that’s it. thanks, I really appreciate it. 

 有,给你。还缺什么? 有缺了,谢谢你,谢谢你帮忙。 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 课文18 

 Excuse me. Yes? What can I do for you? 

 请问什么事?我能帮助你吗?18 

 I just checked in, and there’s a problem with my room. And what is the problem? 

 我刚办完登记,可我的房间有问题。 是什么问题? 

 I asked for a non-smoking room, and I don’t have one. 

 我要的是非吸烟房间,可给我的不是。18 

 My room smells like cigarette smoke. I can’t stand it. could you change my room, please? 

 我的房间全是烟味。我受不了。你能给我换房吗?18 

 Let me see. I’m sorry, but we don’t have any more non-smoking rooms. 

 我查查看,对不起,我们这儿没有非吸烟房间了。18 

 We won’t charge you for your room tonight. Thank you. 

 那今晚的房费我们就不收了。谢谢你。18 

 I’m very sorry about this. That’s OK. Thanks for your help. 

 我很抱歉。没关系,谢谢你帮忙。18 

 

 

So, Paula, where are you from? I’m from Canada, originally. 

 喂,葆拉,你是从哪里来的? 我原籍是加拿大。 

 From Canada? Where were you born? Montreal. When did you come to Los Angeles? 

 加拿大人?你是在哪儿出生的?蒙特利尔。 你是什么时候来到洛杉矶的? 

 We moved here when I was fourteen. Did you go to school here? 

 我14岁时我家搬到这儿来的。 你是在这里上的学吗? 

 Well, I went to high school here, but I went to college in Texas. 

 哦,中学是,但大学是在得克萨斯州读的。19 

 Did you get a job right after graduation? 

 毕业后你就马上工作了吗?19 

 No, I traveled for a while in Europe after college, and then I lived in France. 

 不是,我先到欧洲旅游了一段时间,后来曾在法国住过。19 

 When was that? Let’s see. That was about six years ago. 

 什么时候住在法国的?我想一想,是六年前。19 

 I bet that was interesting. What did you do there? 

 我想住在法国一定非常有意思。你在那儿做什么?19 

 I studied French. Anyway. That’s enough about me. How about you? Were you born in L.A.? 

 学法语。不说了,我的情况就说这些吧。谈谈你吧。你是在洛杉矶出生的吗?19 

 

 

 课文20 

 Kathy! How are you? It’s been ages! What are you doing these days? 

 凯迪,你好吗?好久没见到你了。你现在在忙什么呢?20 

 I just opened my own restaurant. I’m also head chef. 

 我现在开了一家餐馆,我还兼当厨师领班呢。20 

 you are kidding 

 你别开玩笑啦。你不是一向都最讨厌做饭菜的吗!20 

 Well, I used to hate cooking, but now I love it. 

 对,以前我是讨厌做饭,可瑞我却喜欢上这一行了。20 

 When did you change your mind? After I tried French food. 

 你什么时候改变的?吃过法国菜以后我就改变了20 

 Before that, I used to cook really boring things for my family. 

 。在那时以前,我给家里人做的饭可够倒胃口的。20 

 I still can’t believe it! So, did you go to cooking school or something? 

 我还是觉得不可思议,那你是上了烹饪学校了还是怎么学的?20 

 Yeah. I went to California to study. Really? How long did you stay there? 

 是上了学校,我到加利福尼亚专门学的。 是吗?学了多长时间? 

 I was there between ’88 and ’90. And what did you do after that? 

 88年到90年两年时间。 那后来呢?20 

 Then I came back here. I worked for about three years to get some experience. 

 后来我就回来,先是给别人干了三年,为着积累经验。20 

 That’s great! So, where is your restaurant? I’m going to eat there this weekend! 

 你真能干。告诉我,你开的餐在什么地方?这个周末我要去你那里饱饱口福。20 

Have you ever been to Japan? I’m going in the fall. Yeah, I’ve been there twice. 

 你到日本吗?我今年秋天要去日本。 去过。日本我去过两次。 

 Really? Tell me about it. What’s it like? Oh, it’s fantastic. Where did you go? 

 是吗?给我讲一讲,日本怎么样?噢,日本可是个美丽的地方。你都到过哪里呢? 

 On my first trip I went to Tokyo, and on my second trip I visited Kyoto. 

 第一次,我去了东京,第二次,我访问了京都。21 

 What did you think of Tokyo? Very big and exciting, but very crowded, too. 

 你觉得东京怎么样? 泰德 东京很大,很热闹,人也很多。 

 Yeah. I’ve seen pictures of the crowds! 

 对,我见过画片上热闹的人群。21 

 And the restaurants are excellent. But they’re kind of expensive. 

 还有,那儿的餐馆很棒,不过,价钱也够高的。21 

 And how about Kyoto? Kyoto is lovely. It’s full of beautiful old temples and gardens. 

 京都怎么样? 泰德. 京都很美丽,有古老的寺庙、园林、 

 It’s a very historic city. How was the weather? 

 是座古城。 天气怎么样?21 

 I was in Tokyo in August, and it was really hot and humid. 

 我到东京是8月份,天气很热,温度很高。21 

 I went to Kyoto in October. It was hot and sunny, but there was no humidity. 

 我10月去的京都,天气热,阳光足,但不那么潮湿。21 

 Sounds perfect. I can’t wait! 

 听起来真棒,我都等不及了。21 

 

 

 课文22 

 Oh, hi Pam. When did you get back from Canada? How was it? 

 喂,帕姆,你好。你什么时候从加拿大回来的?旅行顺利吗?22 

 The day before yesterday, I only visited Montreal and Ottawa, but I had a great time. 

 我前天回来的。只去了渥太华和蒙特尔两座城市,不过我玩得非常愉快。22 

 Which city did you like better? That’s hard to say. I think Ottawa is prettier. 

 两座城市你更喜欢哪一个? 这可不好说我觉得渥太华更漂亮一些, 

 It has better sightseeing, too, a lot of museums and galleries. 

 可以游览的地方更多一些,有很多博物馆和美术馆。22 

 And what’s Montreal like? What did you think of it? 

 蒙特利尔怎么样?你喜欢吗?22 

 Montreal is more exciting. It has better shopping. The stores are cheaper and more interesting. 

 蒙特利尔更热闹。购物更方便,商品比较便宜,商店摆设更有情致。22 

 Which one has better nightlife? Oh, Montreal for sure. It has more restaurants and clubs. 

 论夜生活哪个声调更丰富一些? 当然是蒙特利尔啦。那里有更多的餐馆和俱乐部。 

 They say Montreal is the most exciting city in Canada. 

 人们说蒙特利尔是加拿大最热闹的城市。22 

 Well, I’ve always wanted to see Vancouver. I’ve heard it has the most beautiful views. 

 唔,我一直想去温哥华看看。听说那里的景色最美丽。22 

Only three more months to go! So, what are you going to do after you graduate, Donna? 

 再有3个月就该中学毕业了。唐娜,毕业之后你打算做什么呢?23 

 I’m going to go to college in Ohio.. Have you decided what you’re going to major in? 

 我要到俄亥俄读大学。你已经决定要修的专业了吗?23 

 Uh-huh. I’m planning to study engineering. That’s a good field. And what about you, Simon? 

 哦,我计划读工程学。这专业不错。西蒙,你有什么计划?23 

 My father is going to give me a job in his company.   我父亲打算在他的公司给我安排一份工作, 

 I’ll probably work there about a year so I can learn the basics. 

 我大概会在公司工作一年时间,学一些基础知识。 

 And what are you doing after that?   然后你打算干什么呢?23 

 After that I’m going back to school to get my degree in business. 

 然后我打算回到学校,读一个工商学位。23 

 That sounds very practical. How about you, Fong? What do you plan to do next year? 

 这打算听起来很实际。枫,你呢?明年打算干什么?23 

 I’m planning to take it easy for a while.   我准备先悠闲一段时间。23 

 I’m going to spend some time traveling in Europe, but I’m coming back after that to study. 

 我打算花些时间到欧洲旅游。然后继续读书 

 How long will you be there?   在欧洲呆多久呢?23 

 Well, I’m leaving in June, and I’m coming home for Christmas, so I’ll be there about six months. 

 是这样,我计划6月份动身,到圣诞节回来,算起来大概有6个月的时间吧。23 

 

 课文24 

 Hi,  Alice. Have you made any New Year’s resolutions yet? 

 爱丽丝,你好!新年伊始,你定下新年决心了吗?24 

 Just the usual. I’d like to lose some weight, and I want to save some money. 

 没什么新决心,还是老样子,想减肥,还想存一些钱。24 

 Come on! Everybody makes those resolutions ! 

 这算什么决心哪。每个人都会下这样的决心的。24 

 I know. Well, I hope I’ll get a promotion at work, but that’s not a resolution. 

 我知道。还有,我希望今年得到提升,不过这我不能决定。24 

 I am going to work harder. How about you? 

 我决心努力工作。说说你自己吧,你呢?24 

 Hmm, I quit smoking last June. That was last year’s promise to myself. 

 我嘛,我去年6月份戒了烟。那是我去年的决心。24 

 So, what do you want to do this year? I want to start getting more exercise. 

 那你今年的决心呢?我想多锻炼身体。24 

 I have to lose weight. So I’d like to join a health club. Jeff. What are you going to do? 

 我必须得减肥了,所以我要参加一个健身俱乐部。杰弗,你有什么计划?24 

 I’d like to treat myself to a really nice vacation. Oh? Where do you think you’ll go? 

 我想真正享受一下休假的乐趣。 你准备去哪儿呢? 

 I don’t know I might go to a quiet beach in Mexico, or I might go fishing up in Canada. 

 说不好。也许到墨西哥一个僻静的海滩,也许去加拿大钓鱼,24 

 I haven’t made up my mind yet.   我还没有想好呢。 

posted @ 2013-01-23 19:22  wn  阅读(1699)  评论(0编辑  收藏  举报