Phrase-1

Phrase-1

1.Knock your socks off

  • 叹为观止

  • Meaning:If something knocks your socks off, it amazes and surprises you, usually in a positive way.

  • Example:

    1. The Chinese are so smart they knock your socks off.

      中国人太聪明了,他们会让你大吃一惊。

    2. Is there some whiz-bang, brand new, knock-your-socks-off technology coming down the road that will be affecting how millions of businesses are doing business in the next five years?

      在未来五年,是否会出现一些全新的、令人惊叹的技术,从而影响数百万企业的经营方式?

      补充:whiz-bang n. 小型高速炮炮弹;巨大的成功 adj. 充满生气的;轰动的;速度极快的。

  • Others:

    1. bombshell 炸弹,爆炸性事件,令人吃惊的事

      The police told me.It was a bombshell.I had no idea.

      是警察告诉我的。我很震惊,完全没想到。

    2. shocked 惊愕的,受震惊的

      I was shocked,brought down to earth by this revelation.

      真相的披露让我深感震惊,我被带回到了现实。

    3. horrific 令人恐惧的,可怕的,恐怖的,令人毛骨悚然的

      The annual slaughter of wildlife in Italy is horrific.

      在意大利,每年大量捕杀野生动物的现象令人震惊。

    4. Stun 击晕,使大吃一惊,给某人以深刻印象

      Many cinema-goers were stunned by the film’s violent and tragic end.

      许多来看电影的人都被这部影片暴力而悲惨的结局所震惊。

    5. dumbfounded 惊呆的,目瞪口呆的

      We were amazed,shocked,dumbfounded,shaking our heads in disbelief.

      我们震惊、愕然、目瞪口呆,难以置信地摇着头。

    6. astonished 吃惊的

      I was astonished at the backwardness of our country at the time.

      我们国家当时的落后程度让我感到震惊。

2. Work your socks off

  • 拼命干活

  • Meaning: If you work your socks off, or work your tail off, you work very hard.

  • Example:

    1. We had to get the job finished by Friday, so we worked our socks off to get it done on time.

      我们必须在星期五之前完成工作,所以我们拼命工作才能按时完成任务。

    2. The sales team worked their tails off this quarter, and they've managed to beat the record for first-quarter sales figures.

      销售团队这个季度拼命工作,他们设法打破了第一季度的销售记录。

  • Others:

    1. Work one's fingers to the bone 长期辛苦工作,拼命地工作

      She worked her fingers to the boneto feed the family.
      她拼了命地工作,就为了养家糊口。

posted @ 2021-06-03 22:54  yuexiuping  阅读(52)  评论(0编辑  收藏  举报